Saturday, October 29, 2011

Saturday Snapshot

To participate in the Saturday Snapshot meme post a photo that you (or a friend or family member) have taken then leave a direct link to your post on Alyce's blog At Home With Books.Photos can be old or new, and be of any subject as long as they are clean and appropriate for all eyes to see. how much detail you give in the caption is entirely up to you. Please don't post random photos that you find online.

This week's picture comes from a freezing but beautiful tour of the old French town of Briancon in the Alps. We spent a week here and it was just one fabulous day after another, excepting the day it snowed and we couldn't go anywhere because of the ice. It all melted the next day so it turned out fine. I've never been so at peace and calm in one place for so long, the whole experience was absolutely incredible.


And yet another week of two pictures, because I couldn't pass up this one. This is a view from the front yard of the house in the mountains, which features the beautiful ancient town of Briancon with it's fortifications. If you're ever thinking about a trip to the Alps, I can't recommend this little town enough. It's the most beautiful place I've been to date, and unlike some Parisians (please forgive me and let me back into your town!) everyone I met there was very nice and understanding of language difficulties, and the younger folks were more than willing to try out their English to help you along.

I know I sound like a tourists advertisement, and I have a French market to get to, so I'll wrap it up by telling you that the castle like building you see is the Collegiale cathedrale which doesn't look like much from the outside due to fortifications and such, but inside it is all marble and paintings and colors and gold. Well worth the trip.

17 comments:

  1. I look forward to going to the French Alps sometime. It looks so beautiful. How wonderful to spend a week there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another place to put on my "travel bucket list" Thank you for sharing a place I have never seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How pretty! Fall must be so wonderful in the Alps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are gorgeous photos Grace. I traveled to the French alps many many years ago, but it was a breathtaking experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing. I've never been but I'd like to. I'm not surprised to hear the people outside of the city are more patient.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, so beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love mountains and this is just beautiful! Thanks for taking us along!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like such a relaxing trip. I have been to the Swiss Alps and was just overcome by how beautiful they were. The French Alps are on my to see list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the descriptions as much as the mountains and scenery. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that "castle-like" building...and the surrounding area looks so peaceful and calm. Gorgeous photos!

    Here's MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks lovely - and I bet it's really beautiful when the snow starts falling. What gorgeous pictures!

    My Saturday Snapshot

    ReplyDelete
  12. The French Alps are gorgeous. I've never been to that town, but it looks well worth a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks extraordinary and breathtaking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks absolutely lovely! I'm glad you had such a good visit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful photos...I hope so much to be able to travel some outside of the U.S. over the next few years...I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful location. Sounds like you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete