Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Myth of "Free" Wifi

When it became certain that I would be heading to Paris, the first thing that I immediately wanted to know was: will there be wifi? I'm something of an internet junkie, but keeping in touch with my family via facebook, skype, and twitter, and of course the writing of this blog, were all important factors. Therefore I felt reassured when I looked on several sites back home and was assured by all that wifi would be everywhere and free with the purchase of a coffee or pastry, something that I would buy anyway.

Ladies and gentlemen, after a day searching the Louvre Carousel, I can now tell you that this it a lie. If truly free wifi exists in Paris, I've yet to find it and in such a place as this, rife with cafes and shops and a popular tourist attraction lacks it, then where on earth are we expected to find it?

I started my mission from the apartment early this morning. Computed packed with the cord and adapter just in case battery power ran low. Complicated metro stops later I was beneath the Louvre in the underground shopping center/miniature Paris with its many restaurants, cafes, boutiques and gift shops. Starbucks was my first choice and the sign in the window advertising free wifi seemed promising so I bought breakfast and a coffee to get me started. The barista handed me a card with a username and password in order to fetch the wifi. Three cards later, my computer and the wifi network were still having none of each other. So instead I sat with the paperback I thought to bring ahead while I finished my muffin and coffee.

A comfy padded bench in the middle of an underground sort of museum looked like a fantastic place to situate myself two hours later after I'd given up on my old standby for good. A plethora of free networks presented themselves to me and none required a password. Overjoyed, I tried connecting to the first only to be taken to a page that declared it would need my credit card number. Not happening. So I flipped to the next one which took me to another page that cheerfully stated in bright bold lettering that I needed to put in a username and password that could be purchased from a nearby restaurant. Great.

Five attempts at connecting and countless more tries at hacking into a network later, I gave up until a familiar glowing yellow sign caught my eye.

McDonalds. It was one o'clock, I'd been traversing the Louvre Carousel searching for wifi for a long time and the muffin of the morning seemed so far away. I'd sworn to myself I wouldn't stoop to eating in McDonalds while I was surrounded by so many fantastic little cafes, but I'm an American at heart and by this time was desperate. So I mounted the escalator and the first thing I saw was the little card standing by the cash register: wifi gratuit. Free wifi.

A chicken wrap is sitting comfortably in my stomach as I sit in one of the incredibly more stylish than the American version seats, connected to free wifi as I write this. And all I had to do was enter my name and email. And for the record, French McDonalds tastes better than the American version.

4 comments:

  1. I hope so. That chicken wrap we had when we went to Wittenburg was disgusting. You could always just get a coffee there. Or a beer. Love your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Free wifi for you means delightful post for us! I agree with your mama...love your post! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nobody ever listens to me, I told your mom that Beth had that same problem. She even traveled all the way across the city to the library which also is supposed to have free wifi only to find out that she had to pay. The parks are supposed to have free wifi but i don't know if she ever tried figuring that out. Alas she also ended up in McDonalds almost every day.

    Either way the American Library in Paris would be a good place for you to check out.

    Oh and go check out
    http://shakespeareandcompany.com/
    Shakepeare and Company bookstore


    37 Rue Bûcherie
    75005 Paris, France
    01 43 25 40 93Open Mon-Sat 9am-6pm
    Subway: Saint-Michel

    Beth also really enjoyed the Père-Lachaise Cemetery. You can see Jim Morrison and Oscar Wilde's grave. Do search in google images to see the many awesome pics of the graveyard.

    15 Boulevard de Ménilmontant, Paris 11e arrondissement - 01 43 71 91 66

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grace, so glad you are having fun. A great adventure for you. Mont st. Michel has long been a dream of mine (8th grade French class, 1976) and Venus de Milo made me weep with her beauty. I am happy to tag along vicariously.

    ReplyDelete