Friday, September 23, 2011

Day 1: A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step

Preparations for this trip have been going on for ages, organizing places for me to stay, getting packed, getting presents for friends, and trying to decide if I was flying alone or not.

I am incredibly terrified of flying. It may not be a primal fear that made my cry as a baby like my distaste for elevators, as my mother likes to point out, but it's much more emotionally and occasionally crippling. So after much begging and pleading, we finally decided about four days before I was set to leave that my dad would fly over with me, stay for a week, and then go home. I'm not allowed to worry about what happens when I fly home, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Good thing he came with me too, because as we were going down the little shoot they send you through to give you a taste of the claustrophobia and increase the tension before actually getting on the plane, I tried to make a run for it. Did I mention earlier that the thought of flying is emotionally crippling?

Well Dad and the very kind and understanding stewardess finally got me on the plane, and after a last ditch call for reassurance from Mom, the xanax finally worked and I calmed down enough to not hyperventilate anymore and managed to keep it together for the rest of the ride. As we were disembarking, the woman of the couple who'd been sitting behind us patted my arm and assured me I'd done fine. It was very kind of her as I'd been quite embarrassed about the scene I made before the drugs kicked in to calm my anxiety. She then informed me that she and her husband would be flying all the way to Paris with us. I'm sure she had her fingers crossed that this time they would be nowhere near us.

A four hour layover in JFK, and a couple hours
of getting sick later, We were ready to board the much larger and longer flight that would take us to Paris.

Here's dad looking much happier and better than me in the airport during the layover.

Boarding this one wasn't nearly so bad because, for some reason my fear of planes is like my fear of snakes: the smaller it is, the scarier. Also, I remembered to take my xanax on time before the flight and was sufficiently chill by the time it was ready to go.

We made it to our seats and right across the aisle was the couple from the first flight. The husband and I sat across the aisle from each other and had a silent bonding over our mutual fear of flying as we gripped the arm of our seats and clutched the hand of our travel companion. I'll admit it though, once the plane got in the air, it was very pleasant. They played that movie with Russell Brand, the remake of the old British comedy Arthur, which I didn't watch.

Three hours of Merlin and four Sudokus later, they served dinner which was quite good. They showed the newest episode of 30 Rock and I fell asleep in the first ten minutes of Parks & Rec. Dad and I got lucky, we were in the middle column, but there wasn't a third person in our row so he had more leg room and I was able to lounge across the extra seat. Breakfast was a nice warm croissant with strawberry jam, orange juice, and coffee.

A bumpy but successful landing later, we were in France! We collected our baggage and took the train from Charles De Gaulle into Paris. After some freshening up, and major confusion, we found the lockers and stowed our bags. Our train to Nantes on the west coast of France didn't leave until seven that night and it was about eight in the morning. We struck out from the Montparnasse station, passed the huge black skyscraper that is, I believe, the only skyscraper actually in Paris instead of the suburbs, and found ourselves only a few blocks away from one of our favorite places in Paris.

The Jardin de Luxembourg is beautiful. I'd never seen it anytime except for the spring, so the
early signs of fall were new to me, but it is equally lovely. We walked for a while and saw the chateau in the middle of the gardens and then went to find lunch on Rue Mouffetard where we found a great little bistro/take away that had an olive oil drenched foccacia for dad, and a crepe with ham, cheese, and egg for me. They also had a fantastic chocolate gelato with actual bits of French chocolate in it.but just as lovely. We walked around, gazed at the lovely

After lunch, it was back to the gardens for us, and we both took a brief nap in the fantastically comfortable chairs by the pond. We still had a few hours until the train, but neither of us wanted to miss it so we set off for the station to claim our luggage and wait. A train ride later, we were in Nantes and our French friends Michele and his daughter Marie were waiting to take us back to the family home. Michele and his wife, Polish born Danuta, have six children, but only the youngest is home. Dinner was absolutely delicious, ham and melon, then a chicken and tomato pastry and salad, followed by the cheese, and then finally a fantastic chocolate cake garnished with strawberries.

So that was yesterday, and here we are in France!

2 comments:

  1. Yea! I'm so glad you are blogging again. I'm struck by the fact that your writing has really improved. That year of college may have made a difference! But most of all, I love traveling along with you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading about your adventures but it makes me so sad that I'm not there with you. I wonder how the flight would have gone if it would have been you and me. Maybe you would have tried to be more stoic since I'm not family. Or maybe I would have had to tackle you as you tried to run off the plane. :) have a wonderful time and I'll be thinking about you in Paris while we're in Los Angeles (its really not quite the same!)

    ReplyDelete