Sunday, September 25, 2011

...and so they made me something else...

I have two lovely days to write about, but I've recently suffered a bit of a shock and therefore must plan to catch you lot up when I get to the hotel in Paris tomorrow.

Let me just start this brief bit off by saying, I'm really not a seafood person. I'm a Midwestern girl through and through, and if I could, I'd subsist on a diet of corn, beef, soybeans, pork, lemonade, and water. So when the family we're staying with had fish for two meals during one day, I put on my suffer in silence face and ate it. Lunch was quite good, dinner was tolerable if considerably more fishy. I hoped I'd gotten it all out of the way.

Yesterday, we went to Mont St. Michel and I have tons of lovely photos to post someday soon. Danuta insisted we stop in a seaside town on our way to Saint Malo for a walking tour, after walking up the ten million steps that is Mont St. Michel. In this little town, she bought about two pounds of oysters. Oysters are perhaps the one seafood that I will never make myself eat. I've even managed fried kalamari during a science-y exhibition thing, but oysters are just a no.

So today we had oysters for lunch, and dinner. I passed them up both times and ate a bit of everything else. They were making fun of me but I thought I was taking it fairly well when Michel asked if I'd tried escargot, I said no but that I supposed I would. A jumble of French and about ten minutes later, there were snails on my plate.

You can get the full story later, but that is my excuse for why I haven't written anything big with pictures and flowery words lately.

And yes, I did eat one. But just the one. As Danuta helpfully said: "Une fois ça suffit. One time is enough"

2 comments:

  1. This story is hilarious. At least the escargot are smaller than the oysters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oysters are my favorite seafood, i never used to share with the kids but now they all love them too. I wouldn't have been too excited to try the snails though!

    ReplyDelete