Friday, September 23, 2011

Crazy Ideas

For the time being, let's pretend like all pasts posts don't exist and none of you have any idea who I am.

We're introduced at a party and, as usual, talk turns to plans for the future and what we do for jobs/education etc. In May, I couldn't have told you anything specific, just an awkward shoulder shrug and silence and then a desperate jump to a different topic. Well as of July, I could finally give people definite answers: I'm going to France for three months. This, shockingly, was my mother's idea, she's been a Francophile for forever and has passed on to me not only her eyes and questionable attitude about rules but her love for the French and France as well.

Now, most people have been asking me if this is a study abroad thing, something to do with school, and I've been saying no, this has nothing to with school or any other educational organizations. But since I've been here, a grand total of about fifty hours, I have a new answer for that question: Yes. It is a study abroad, a study of myself, of languages, of culture, of life. It may not have any scholastic value, unless I end up a language major which at this rate looks very likely to happen, but the value I will get from this experience is better than anything I could get at school.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Grace

    I'm busy pretending that all your pasts posts don't exist and I don't have any idea who you are.

    How are you finding France?

    How is France finding you?

    Are you in Nantes?

    There are quite a bunch of other new arrivals in France who are based in Nantes.

    All the best

    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely idea. And yes, you have my eyes, but you follow way too many rules. Lovin the new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Keith! I'm loving France and I'll be in the west for a few more days, but I'm mostly based in Paris.

    Mom, I promise to break as many as possible while I'm here. At least the ones that won't land me in French prison. Although, if they serve croissants and such, it might not be such a horrible experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that you will get more out of this trip than you would from another semester of college. Enjoy, love and grow (kinda like Eat, Pray, Love)

    ReplyDelete