Monday, March 5, 2012

To tattoo or not to tattoo


It's a feeling of rebellion, of freedom. Everyone experiences it at some point once they've left the nest, the need to express yourself and show the world that you are an adult, but you aren't done having fun yet. This crisis usually manifests itself in a piercing, a tattoo, that one night you get really drunk for the first time, you name it. My rebellious phase has been slow and cautious in showing up, calculating things and making sure the time is right for said phase to show, and I have to say I'm quite grateful because lately, all of my friends seem to be going through this and not all of their decisions are great.

She won't be thrilled with me for writing about this, but one friend of mine who broke up with her boyfriend of a year called me for advice a day or two after the break up. I don't know why, I have no idea what to do when it comes to handling significant others especially ones whom have been part of a life for so long. Anyway, I managed to talk her into remaining calm. She wanted to go out and party and do all of the things she hadn't when she and her ex were together, simply because it was one of the reasons he broke up with her. I thought I'd given very sage words of advice until I checked back in with her on Sunday. The result of her first weekend as a single woman: a tattoo.

Now, the idea has been planted in my mind ever since the summer between high school and college when I went to the state fair with two of my best friends. We got henna done, Emily picked out a geometric pattern, Sarah got a swirl of flowers. I chose a sea turtle swimming through some bubbles and flowers. Ever since that day, I've been hooked on the idea of actually getting a real turtle tattoo.

People always ask me "what's the significance of the turtle?" and my answer is: I really like turtles. When I went to the Bahamas with my science club, I got to see a real live sea turtle up close and personal. I've always had compassion for the endangered species types, and I mean really, who doesn't love turtles? Sure, some of you might think my reasons are a bit immature, but I've been thinking about it for almost two years now, and I keep coming back to that little design.

This is a bad picture of a prototype that my friend Sam hennaed on me earlier this evening. It's just a cute little representation of a turtle, but that would be the general location I would choose. It would be much smaller, maybe only the total size of the shell on this one.

So now I have to decide, do I want to get a tattoo when I go home for spring break? There aren't any tattoo shops anywhere near me, so it's really my only option. Here comes my rebellious streak, peaking slowly around the corner to make sure there aren't any dangers ahead. Do I just go with my gut and spring for it? Or should I take another two years to decide?

1 comment:

  1. Well, if you are being rebellious, I know you don't want your mother's advice... The turtle is cute and will look great when you are barefoot and wearing a bathing suit, so if you plan to spend your life on a beach, I say go for it. If you work in an office, that little turtle will always be there, right over your sensible pumps. Maybe you could put it in your bikini area, right above your swimsuit bottoms. Then it wouldn't show except on the beach and in the shower, etc...

    ReplyDelete