Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I want a hedgehog


As some of you probably know by now, I am an animal adorer. If it's got a face, two to four legs, and especially if it makes some sort of squeaking or chirping noise, I'm going to love it. And yes, that includes lizards and excludes snakes. Snakes are the stuff of my nightmares, and I'm also not a fan of worms, hence the two to four leg requirement. Fish are different so don't start that argument with me.

Anyway, my roommate decided that college wasn't for her about two weeks into the semester and left me with a room to myself. While I enjoy it most of the time, it can get a bit lonely, especially since I've been sick and confined to my bed for much of the past three weeks. Naturally, my first choice for some company of the non-human variety would be a cat, but those aren't allowed at school. Other people suggest fish, but once again, fish are a completely different story. With the exception of Maurice the dancing fish, owned and much adored by Delana @http://delana-dujour.blogspot.com, you can't really pet or play with a fish.

So I started scrolling the internet for small creatures that the school couldn't protest, especially since I will be moving into my new sorority house next fall where it might actually possible to have a real pet.

Hamster. No, too much like that car commercial.
Guinea pig. Too big, too noisy.
Lizard. Awesome, but not cuddly.

Then it hit me....
Can you get much cuter than those little noses, fuzzy tummies, and little chirpy sounds? Yeah, I'm sure some of you think the spines poking out of their back might be an issue. Actually, they really aren't. When I worked at the local zoo, taking care of and playing with the hedgehogs were part of my job. Once they get used to you and come out of their ball-like defense mechanism, they're playful, snuggly, and shockingly soft. My co-worker and I could sit with our two little charges, Gidget and Gadget, for ages just petting them and feeding them little bits of fruits and veggies.

So, now I want a hedgehog. I would name it Hamish, because how could a hedgehog not be called something like that. They are British for the most part. My mother does not approve, but I'm an adult now and I can do adult things! Like buy a hedgehog after I get enough money.

So who knows, maybe next fall there will be a new addition to my party of one. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. The picture is adorable. I just don't want them here at home for the summer and next year when you're abroad again. Can the hedgehog travel to Austria?

    ReplyDelete